I’d heard of hummingbird cake and cupcakes before and they sounded really good! I love the combination of bananas and pineapple! Unfortunately, the typical recipe calls for a ton of sugar! I adapted the recipe for my banana bread muffins to create my healthier vegan, gluten free, and SOS free Hummingbird Muffins!
- 1 cup rolled oats (GF if desired)
- 1 cup millet
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 8oz can crushed pineapple
- 8 dates
- 4 tbsp almond milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a high-speed blender, combine oats and millet and blend until a flour forms.
- Pour into a large bowl, add the baking powder, and stir together.
- In the high-speed blender, add the bananas, pineapple, dates, and almond milk. Blend until everything is well combined.
- Pour into the bowl with the flour and mix until everything is combined.
- Stir in the chopped pecans.
- Pour into prepared muffin pan and bake for 30 minutes.
This recipe would be really good as a cupcake too, with a cashew cream icing on top! Next time I make these muffins, I will add the icing and post the recipe for the cashew cream icing!
I was able to make 16 muffins with this recipe.
Hope you enjoy these as much as I did!