I had 1/2 a head of cabbage so I googled some ideas and came across this incredibly delicious soup! The best part was I had all the ingredients to make it except the optional pine nuts and it looked super simple to make!
This recipe was adapted from here:
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrot, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 head cabbage, chopped
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 16 oz can chickpeas
- pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup fresh basil
- optional: pine nuts
- Heat a large skillet, add 2 tablespoons of water, and sauté the onion for about 3 minutes.
- Add the carrots and garlic and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add all remaining ingredients, except basil and pine nuts.
- Reduce heat and allow to simmer, covered, for about 25 minutes.
- Stir in basil and pine nuts.
Not only is this recipe great for St. Patrick’s Day with the cabbage, but it is a great soup to enjoy on a cooler day now since we are SO close to spring and will soon be craving salads, smoothies, and fresh fruit! Not like I don’t crave that stuff now, but in the summer you’re more likely to eat those foods than you are to eat soups.