This recipe was originally for banana bread. But I found that the muffins baked better than a whole loaf of bread and it made it easier to make a grab-and-go snack that was already portioned. I knew I would love this recipe just looking at the ingredients. It has 5 bananas! These banana bread muffins is made with only whole foods and is SOS free, meaning it has no added sugar, oil, or salt. These banana bread muffins can be enjoyed at any time of the day!
This recipe was adapted from here:
- 1 cup millet
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 5 bananas!
- 1/2 cup date paste (or 10 dates)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce (or 1 small apple)
- Optional: 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Combine millet and oats in a high-speed blender and process into a flour. Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Add baking powder and stir.
- Blend together bananas, date paste or dates, and applesauce until well combined.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir. Add walnuts, if desired, and stir.
- Pour into muffin pan (I use a silicon pan) and bake for 20-22 minutes.
- Allow to cool and enjoy!
This recipe is amazing for so many different reasons:
- If you already have date paste on hand, this is such an easy recipe to make, since all you have to do is blend the ingredients together! If not, you can just use 10 pitted dates which is even simpler.
- Millet is a grain that is not expensive at all!
- Only whole foods are used, so it is a healthy treat!