I came across this recipe at the most perfect time. I had some tempeh and some sprouts that needed to get used before they expired and anything with avocado just sounds absolutely amazing! I rarely eat sandwiches anymore, but I may have to make them more just to eat this sandwich. This was so simple to make, so tasty, and a great healthy meal!
This recipe was adapted from here:
- 1 8oz package of tempeh
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs maple syrup
- 1 tbs tamari
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 4 slices of sprouted grain bread*
- 4 tbs hummus
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/2 pint alfalfa sprouts
- handful of greens
- Slice the tempeh in half.
- Mix together the olive oil, maple syrup, tamari, and balsamic vinegar in a shallow bowl.
- Evenly coat the tempeh and let it marinate for about 30 minutes.
- Bake the tempeh at 400F for 30 minutes flipping once halfway through baking.
- Once the tempeh is done, spread hummus on your bread.
- Add tempeh, avocado, sprouts, and some greens.
This recipe makes two sandwiches or two wraps!
*Ezekiel sprouted grain bread was used by my family. To make this gluten free, use a gluten free bread or try a wrap! I recommend these Brown Rice Tortillas which is made by the same company as the ezekiel bread.