I am loving this spring weather!
With this warmer weather, I am craving even more fresh fruit than I usually do. As a vegan potluck was approaching, I began to think about what I could bring. I usually bring an entree and a dessert. The dessert is usually made because most desserts that are brought to the potluck are not gluten free. If I bring my own gluten free dessert, than I am guaranteed a sweet treat after dinner. Last time I brought the Raw Brownies since I love chocolate and this would satisfy my sweet tooth in a perfect and healthy way that I also thought others would enjoy. But this time as I began to think about what to bring, I knew I wanted a nice light assortment of fruit! No one has brought any type of fruit platter before so I thought this would be perfect.
Then I had an even greater idea! Why not arrange that fruit into a cute shape that would be perfect for spring. And that is what inspired this Butterfly Fruit Platter!
This recipe was inspired from here:
- Green Grapes
- 2 blueberries
- Slice grapes and kiwi.
- Chop strawberries, pineapple, and oranges.
- Arrange in the shape of a butterfly starting with the base of the butterflies body (the grapes), then the pineapple, next the strawberries, and finally the oranges.*
- Add 2 slices of kiwi for the decoration on the butterfly’s wings.
- Add 2 slices of green grapes for the eyes with 2 blueberries for the pupils.
- Add a very thinly sliced piece of strawberry to each eye for the antennae and as a mouth for the smile 🙂
*Some tips for arranging the fruit:
- Lay out the grapes starting at the top and working my way down the body, slightly overlapping each grape. Add an extra layer of grapes on top, so the butterfly will be two layers of fruit.
- Outline the wings with the pineapple then fill it in so the pineapple is at the same level as the grapes.
- Do the same thing with the strawberries, then the oranges: outline first then fill it in to it is all at the same level.
This fruit platter can be made with any type of fruit! You can use what is in season, you can use different color fruits to get different colors of butterflies, you can add more creative designs to the butterfly’s wings, or anything else you can think of!