The only meal I haven’t yet posted from my Christmas Eve menu is the Brussels Sprouts with Apples and Almonds.
I wanted to try the recipe again making changes from the original recipe to better suit my taste. On New Years Eve, it was the perfect opportunity to try this side dish out again. Once again, everyone loved this dish. Actually, even better with these new changes.
This recipe was adapted from here:
- 1 pound shredded Brussels sprouts (you can buy these already shredded at Trader Joe’s or Wegmans)
- 2 tbsp olive oil (divided)
- 2 limes, juiced
- 2 tbsp mustard
- 1 large Granny Smith apple, diced
- 1/2 cup almonds
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add shredded Brussels sprouts, stirring occasionally, and cook until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine the other tablespoon of olive oil, the lime juice, and mustard and mix together. Set aside.
- Once the Brussels are tender, remove them from the heat. Stir in the dressing, apples, and almonds and mix until everything is evenly coated.
- Pour into a bowl and serve.
I made this about 10 minutes before eating and ate it at room temperature and it tasted great. I also have eaten it straight out of the fridge, cold, and it still tasted great. I’m sure these would even taste good heated in the microwave.
I loved having something so nutritious as a side dish for Christmas Eve and New Years Eve. It was also great that it was super easy to make. The hardest part was chopping the apples. I’ll definitely be making this again for a side dish any day of the week, not just holidays. And this dish can easily be doubled and would be perfect to take to a potluck!
Christmas Eve 2013 Dishes:
- Veggie Loaf Bites
- Butternut Squash Risotto
- Rainbow Greens
- Brussels Sprouts with Apples & Almonds
- Caramel Apple Pie