Continuing with Christmas Eve dinner, the next item on the menu was Brussels Sprouts with Apples & Almonds. This side dish was really good, but I am going to skip it for now and try to perfect the recipe to better fit my taste. So I will definitely post the recipe eventually. Until then, I’ll still post a dish with apples – Caramel Apple Pie.
Similar to last year when I made a lighter, healthier dessert one night – Apple Crisp, and a richer dessert the second night – Chocolate Avocado Pudding. This year I made a Caramel Apple Pie and a Buckeye Pie. Since these were both pies for only 4 people, I knew there would be leftovers. Having a healthier pie and a richer pie would allow for a great choice as leftovers. In the mood for a healthier pie? I could choose the Caramel Apple Pie. Sweet tooth is really kicking in? I could choose the Buckeye Pie.
Today I am posting the Caramel Apple Pie. I have tried to make a vegan and gluten-free apple pie before and it did not work. Thankfully this one came out and was very tasty!
This recipe was adapted from here:
- 2 pie crusts (I recommend my Pecan Date Pie Crust)
- 3 large Granny Smith apples
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ginger
- pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp caramel sauce (I used store bought)
- To prepare the pie crusts I baked one in the pie pan at 375F for 10 minutes covered with foil. The other pie crust I rolled out on wax paper and cut into strips and did not prebake. Set aside for later.
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Thinly slice apples. (You can peel them first if you want, I didn’t).
- Toss the apples in a large bowl.
- Add all other ingredients and gently stir to evenly coat everything. (If the ingredients are not spreading evenly, you can heat the whole bowl of apples in the microwave for 30 seconds, then gently stir.)
- Pour apple mixture into the prepared pie crust. Gently lay the other prepared pie strips in a lattice pattern on top of the pie filling. (Alternatively, you can skip cutting the 2nd pie crust into strips and just lay the 2nd pie crust on top of the pie filling . Just make sure to add a hole in the center to allow the pie to vent.)
- Cover with aluminum foil (to prevent the crust from burning) and bake for 15 minutes.
- Reduce temperature to 350F and bake for 20-25 minutes, still covered with foil. (Make sure to check around 20 minutes to make sure the pie crust is not burning).
- Allow pie to cool for at least an hour before serving.
I served my pie with drizzled caramel on top!
After baking the pie:
Once the pie crusts were made, the actual pie filling was very easy to make! The hardest part was slicing all the apples. It was also easier just to buy caramel sauce then make my own, though I’m sure it would be tasty. Store any leftover pie in the fridge.
Christmas Eve 2013 Dishes:
- Veggie Loaf Bites
- Butternut Squash Risotto
- Rainbow Greens
- Brussels Sprouts with Apples & Almonds
- Caramel Apple Pie