I have been loving soups, stews, and chilis again this winter! In celebration of the first day of winter (even though it was 60 degrees!) I made this delicious soup!
This recipe was adapted from Appetite For Reduction:
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- several pinches ground black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 1/2 cups diced carrots
- 1 1/4 cups split peas
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- In a large pot saute onion in the olive oil until translucent for about 4 minutes over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic, pepper, and salt and saute for another minute.
- Add paprika and thyme and stir continuously to toast the spices.
- Add the carrots, split peas, and broth.
- Cover the pot and bring to a boil.
- Once it’s boiling, lower the heat to a simmer and cook for about 40 minutes, until the peas are creamy, stirring occasionally.
- Add the lemon juice and taste. Add extra lemon juice, salt, or pepper if needed.
The longer this soup sits, the more flavorful the soup will taste. If possible, try making at least a few hours before serving!
Next time I make this soup, I’m doubling the recipe. I bet eating the leftovers the next day would be delicious and lunch would already be ready!