This has been my favorite crust for making pies. It has the most graham cracker taste of regular pie crusts. I personally think this crust tastes more like a cookie though, so it’s kind of like you get two desserts in one! This crust is much healthier than store-bought crusts. However, because it is gluten-free it does get a bit crumbly, but still holds the pie together. Just be careful serving that first piece, which actually isn’t that different than most pies.
This recipe was adapted from FatFree Vegan:
- 1/2 cup GF rolled oats
- 1/2 cup sorghum flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 2 tbsp natural sugar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- Preheat oven to 375F and grease a 9-inch pie pan.
- Put the oats into a food processor or blender and process until finely ground.
- Add the remaining dry ingredients and blend to combine.
- Pour into a bowl and stir in the wet ingredients until completely combined.
- Put the mixture into the prepared pie pan and flatten the crust along the bottom of the pan and along the sides with moist fingers.
- Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes, until it is crisp but not overdone. Allow to cool before filling with any pie recipe!
I filled my pie crust with my Chocolate Tofu Pie! Definitely recommended!!
This recipe, for the pie crust, yields approximately 8 servings. One serving yields approximately 100 calories and <1g protein.