Even though teachers have been back to work for a week, it is officially the last day of summer vacation for the kids. I cannot believe how quickly this summer went by. Before I know it, it will be fall and the temperatures will start getting much cooler; nights and early mornings are already pretty cool. So during the hot afternoons I have been enjoying cold shakes and “ice cream” since I know very soon I will no longer be craving these cold treats. In celebration of the last day of summer vacation, enjoy this delicious, healthy “ice cream”!
This ice cream is made from a base of bananas. The original version does not include protein powder, but I addeda little bit for some extra protein and it gave the “ice cream” a great flavor.
This recipe was adapted from here:
- 1 1/2 frozen bananas
- about 2 tbsp almond milk (enough to get everything moving)
- 1/4 cup GF instant oats (pulse rolled oats in a blender a few times)
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp raisins
- Optional: 1 tbsp vanilla protein powder (I use Sunwarrior)
- In a blender or food processor, combine bananas and almond milk. Blend until creamy.
- Add remaining ingredients and blend until everything is combined.
- Pour in a cold bowl, top with additional raisins if desired, and enjoy! Alternatively, you could place this in the freezer for about 20-30 minutes if you want it to have more of a real, frozen ice cream texture.
This recipe (with protein powder) yields approximately 295 calories and 10g protein.