I drink smoothies a lot in the summer! They are so cool and refreshing after being out in the sun. Plus, smoothies are a great way for me to add supplements that I take daily, like maca powder, flax seeds, and protein powder. However, sometimes I would prefer not to drink a smoothie out of a straw, but create a thick smoothie that I can eat out of a bowl with a spoon. This recipe was based off a very thick smoothie recipe.
This recipe was adapted from here:
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt (I used Amande)
- 1/4 cup avocado
- 1/2 frozen banana
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- Optional: 1/2 scoop protein powder (Chocolate is preferred but vanilla works)
- Optional: 1 tbsp ground flax seed
- Optional: 1 tsp maca powder
- Combine all ingredients in a small blender and blend until smooth and creamy, scraping down the sides as needed. (You may need to add 1-2 tablespoons of almond milk to get things moving if you use all the powders.)
- Pour into a bowl and freeze* or eat immediately for a Smoothie In A Bowl, but make sure to add toppings first! Try fruits, nuts, seeds, shredded coconut, or chocolate chips!
*If you decide to freeze this smoothie, pour it into a bowl and place it in the freezer, stirring every 30 minutes until the desired consistency. It won’t be like real soft serve (it is still smoothie based) but it will be cold and thick!
I didn’t add any additional sweetener to my bowl. I found the banana naturally sweetened it enough plus my protein powder is naturally sweetened with stevia. If you omit the protein powder and don’t find the banana to be sweet enough alone, you may want to add your own sweetener like stevia or maple syrup or even try sweetening it up by adding a whole frozen banana!
This recipe (using Amande yogurt, Plant Fusion Protein Powder, and including the optional ingredients) yields approximately 315 calories and 17g protein.