Making pancakes that are vegan and gluten free is tough! Especially, if you want that fluffy texture. Not to mention that you want a pancake that holds together when flipping it on the pan. And on top of all that you have to be patient as the pancake slowly cooks over medium heat; heat that is any higher burns the outside and leaves the middle uncooked. Yuck! Even though I still had to use my patience with cooking these over medium heat, I was quite impressed at how big and fluffy these turned out. Cooked perfectly inside and out! Plus, bananas cooked in the pancakes…heaven!
This recipe was adapted from here:
- 1/4 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/4 cup GF oat flour
- 1/2 tbsp flax seeds
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 5 tbsp almond milk
- 3 tbsp plain yogurt (I used Amande)
- 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 medium banana, sliced
- Whisk together all dry ingredients.
- Add the wet ingredients and whisk until everything is combined.
- Gently fold in the sliced banana.
- Pour pancake batter by 1/4 cup onto a hot, greased griddle over medium heat until golden brown on each side.
- Top the pancakes with additional banana slices, walnuts, and maple syrup! (Or any other toppings you love!)
These pancakes would probably be great with chopped walnuts stirred into the batter! Then there would be bananas and walnuts directly in the pancakes. Ooh that sounds exactly like Banana Bread Pancakes! Delicious!
Using Arrowhead Mills Buckwheat Flour, Trader Joe’s GF Rolled Oats, Bob’s Red Mill Ground Flax Seeds, Silk PureAlmond Original Almond Milk, and plain Amande yogurt, this recipe yields approximately 410 calories and 12g protein.