A long time ago, I used to have a banana bread recipe that was my favorite. It was thick, fluffy, and very flavorful. Unfortunately, this recipe was not vegan or gluten free. I have tried several banana bread recipes that are both gluten free and vegan and they were always good but nothing close to that rich banana taste of my favorite recipe. I knew I would probably never get the same taste as before but I kept trying different recipes and finally I have found one that has been my absolute favorite so far! It is very tasty and it looks so pretty too!
This recipe was adapted from Peachy Palate:
- 2 tbsp ground flax + 6 tbsp water
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 3/4 cup buckwheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1.5 cups bananas (about 3 large), mashed
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Spray a loaf pan with non-stick spray and preheat oven to 350F.
- In a small bowl, combine flax and water and stir. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine flours, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon. Mix together.
- Take 3/4 cup of the flour mixture and put it in another medium bowl. Whisk the cocoa powder into this bowl.
- In another small bowl, mix together mashed bananas, almond milk, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and the flax mixture. Divide this mixture between the two flour bowls. (Just over 1 cup of the wet mixture in each bowl.)
- Place alternating scoops of each flour mixture in the prepared loaf pan until no mixture remains.
- Run a butter knife through the loaf creating swirls. Run the knife through the center of the loaf for an even rise.
- Bake in the oven for 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Allow to cool before slicing.
This banana bread is great as is, slightly warmed in the microwave, or topped with peanut butter!
Based off 8 slices of banana bread, this recipe yields approximately 228 calories and 6g protein.