Today is National Baked Beans Day! Even though this recipe doesn’t use baked beans, it does use bean sprouts and chickpeas…that counts right? Well if you would rather have actual baked beans, see this recipe I posted last year to better celebrate National Baked Beans Day. In fact, I made those baked beans last night for dinner. I doubled the recipe so I would have plenty of leftovers. Those baked beans are SO tasty!
Anyways, back to today’s actual recipe. I have been loving sprouts lately; bean sprouts and alfalfa sprouts in particular. They have been making their way into all my bean and veggie wraps. When I came across this recipe for a stir fry that was basically made out of bean sprouts, I knew I had to make it as soon as possible and try bean sprouts in a new way!
This recipe was adapted from here. I made a few changes to the original recipe to increase the flavor and use ingredients I had on hand.
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 4 tsp minced garlic
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 4 cups kale
- 2.5 cups bean sprouts (1 whole package)
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp Tamari
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Add onion and garlic to a large frying pan with a splash of water. Saute over medium heat for about 2 minutes, adding more water if necessary to prevent sticking.
- Add broccoli florets and kale and cook for about another 2 minutes.
- Add all other ingredients and cook until kale is wilted and broccoli is bright green.
- Serve immediately as a side dish or serve over brown rice for a meal.
I included chickpeas in my recipe because I wanted additional protein. I bet this would taste great with marinated and baked tofu or tempeh as well for a protein source.
If you serve this over brown rice for a meal, this can easily make 3-4 servings.