I haven’t posted an entree in a long time. With all my smoothies, breakfast recipes, and desserts, I swear I am also eating delicious meals. This entree is a great meal as it provides grains, protein, and veggies altogether. It was very simple and quick to prepare and full of flavor.
For this entree, I doubled the recipe for a family of four and it was the perfect amount. The recipe was adapted from here:
- 2 cups orange juice
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger juice
- 4 tsp tamari
- 3 tbsp mirin
- 1/4 cup + 4 tsp maple syrup
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 8oz packages tempeh, cubed
- 2 cups steamed asparagus, cut into thirds
- First, prepare the orange glaze by combining orange juice, ginger juice, tamari, mirin, maple syrup, brown sugar, coriander, and garlic in a bowl. Mix together until the sugar dissolves. Set aside.
- Slice up the tempeh and set aside.
- Cut and steam the asparagus.
- Meanwhile, in a medium pan, add olive oil and heat over medium heat. Once hot, add the tempeh.
- Brown the tempeh on both sides, adding more oil if needed.
- Stir in 2 cups of the orange glaze. Cook over medium heat until the sauce thickens.
- Once thick, add the asparagus and stir. Allow to simmer for a few minutes before removing from the heat.
- Serve over brown rice for a hearty meal. Top with sesame seeds!
There are a lot of ingredients for the orange glaze, but it does not take long to measure everything out. The glaze can also be prepared a day before or earlier in the day if needed. The sauce alone makes this recipe worth making; it is full of flavor! You will also have a little extra sauce left, which I just used to flavor some brown rice the next day.