I love the combination of pistachios with sweet fruits, especially cherries! Unfortunately, I didn’t have any cherries but I did have some strawberries and that sounded just as great a combination! This was a super sweet smoothie with the perfect nutty taste.
- 1/4 cup pistachios (measured before shelling)
- 1/2 cup strawberries, frozen
- 1/2 banana, frozen
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt (I used Amande)
- 1 cup almond milk
- Optional: 1/2 scoop protein powder (I used Sunwarrior Blend Vanilla)
- In a small blender, pulse pistachios to break them down. (If you have a Vitamix you can omit this step.)
- Combine all other ingredients and blend until smooth and creamy.
One thing I love about smoothies is how once you have a base you can try different variations. Here are a few variations for this smoothie:
Chocolate Strawberry Pistachio Smoothie – Use a chocolate flavored protein powder or 1 tbsp cocoa powder.
Green Strawberry Pistachio Smoothie – Add a handful of spinach or 1 tsp Spirulina.
I think next time I might try adding spinach! With all these ingredients, this would be a perfect post-workout smoothie!
This smoothie, including the protein powder, yields approximately 300 calories and 13g protein.