If you love chickpeas and spinach as much as I do, then you will love this recipe! It is very simple and can be made very quickly. It is quite spicy though, so if you do not like spice, I recommend omitting those seasonings or replacing the spicy seasonings with some of your favorites! Chickpeas, spinach, and tomatoes can taste great with any seasonings!
This recipe was adapted from Happy Herbivore:
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 12 oz can of peeled whole tomatoes
- 15 oz chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 12 oz fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- dash of red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp garam masala
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large pot, saute garlic and onions in 1/4 cup water until onions are translucent.
- Add spinach, chickpeas, tomatoes (with the juice from the can), and vegetable broth.
- Cover and cook over medium heat until spinach cooks down and is deep green.
- Uncover and break tomatoes apart with a spoon. Add all spices (except garam masala) and the lemon juice.
- Cover and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add 1/2 tsp garam masala and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Taste and add the other 1/2 tsp garam masala, salt, and pepper if desired.
- Turn heat off and allow to sit for 5 minutes before serving.
When I made this, I really like spicy food, so I added the whole 1 tsp garam masala. I did not add any salt or pepper and thought the taste was fine. The original recipe also calls for 1/2 tsp coriander, but I did not have this seasoning so just omitted it. All the other spices gave this recipe plenty of delicious flavoring.
This recipe yields 2 servings. One serving yields approximately 350 calories and 18.5g protein.