Buckwheat is a flour I have really enjoyed working with, like in my buckwheat waffles. I love the flavor, texture, and nutrition so much. I also love making quick, simple, and filling breakfasts in the morning, especially on work days. Here is an easy recipe that can be made in the microwave, is high in protein, keeps you full, and is very tasty.
This recipe was adapted from here:
- 1/4 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/2 scoop protein powder (I used Sunwarrior Vanilla Blend)
- 1/2 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp stevia
- 1/2 mashed banana
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- In a small bowl, combine all dry ingredients.
- Stir in mashed banana and almond milk and mix until combined.
- Spray a small ramekin with non-stick spray. (This step can be omitted if you plan on eating it right out of the bowl, but the bottom may still stick.)
- Pour batter into ramekin and heat in the microwave for 5 minutes.
- Allow to cool. Flip ramekin over onto a plate and enjoy.
You can top your buckwheat bake with any toppings desired (fresh or dried fruits, nuts, seeds, yogurt, nut butter, etc.). My favorite topping is peanut flour sauce with bananas. For the peanut flour sauce, I just mix together 2 tbsp peanut flour with 1.5 tbsp almond milk, stevia, and sea salt. Then, I add the other 1/2 of my banana on top! I seriously make this breakfast at least once a week!
To make this breakfast even quicker in the morning, sometimes I’ll mix together all the dry ingredients in a bowl the night before. Then, in the morning, I just have to stir in the almond milk and mashed banana and let it heat while I finish getting ready to start the day!
The recipe for just the buckwheat bake yields approximately 258 calories and 15g protein.
The recipe for the buckwheat bake with the peanut flour sauce and 1/2 sliced banana yields approximately 370 calories and 23.5g protein.