I love making my own snack bars, but sometimes it is very difficult to make bars that are portable. Even though I have made bars before that I individually wrapped, if I didn’t eat them straight from the fridge or freezer they would fall apart. That is not the case with this bar. I stored these in the fridge, but I took it as a snack during work and I was surprised at how well the bar not only stayed together, but was still firm!
When I first made these bars, I was a little nervous as to whether or not I would like them since cashews are my least favorite nut. However, they had an amazing taste, especially paired with the cinnamon spice. I am a huge fan of cinnamon!
This recipe was adapted from here:
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 2 tbsp hemp seeds
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup GF rolled oats
- 1 cup pitted dates*
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp shredded coconut
- 2 tbsp mini chocolate chips (I use Enjoy Life brand)
- In a food processor add cashews, hemp seeds, salt, cinnamon, and oats and process until crumbly.
- Add dates and vanilla and process until well-combined and a sticky dough forms.
- Add the coconut and chocolate chips and process for a few more seconds.
- Remove the dough and press into an 8×8 pan.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour or until chilled.
- Remove from fridge and cut into 6 bars and wrap each individually in wax paper. Store each wrapped bar in a ziplock bag in the fridge until ready to eat.
This recipe makes 6 bars.
One bar yields approximately 202 calories and 4.5g protein.