I woke up this morning to a 2 hour delay for school/work due to freezing rain! I think that means this is a perfect morning to post a recipe for this delicious, warm chili I made last week. This chili is full of protein, vegetables, and taste. The seasonings in this chili were amazing! This chili is also another easy meal. Just toss everything into a crockpot (which requires very little chopping) and let it work its magic.
This recipe was adapted from Daily Garnish:
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 10oz bag of frozen mixed bell pepper strips, chopped
- 1 15oz can black beans
- 1 15oz can red kidney beans
- 1 15oz can great northern beans
- 1 15oz can white kidney beans
- 2 15oz can fire roasted tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1.5 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- sea salt, to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a crockpot.
- Cook on high for about 4 hours or low for about 8 hours or until ready to serve.
Since my mom is not a fan of really spicy food, I kept the spice level down. However, feel free to add more spice if you like a spicier meal. I thought the cinnamon helped give this chili the perfect sweet & spicy flavor though.
Also, feel free to switch up the kinds of beans you use. You can use chickpeas, lentils, cannellini, adzuki, etc. Or if you want a “meatier” chili, try adding about 1/2-1 cup dried TVP to the crockpot, but you will probably need to add at least another 1/2-1 cup of liquid. (I haven’t tried adding TVP yet so I can’t vouch for the results of the chili with this version.)
This was so easy and tasty and made plenty so that I had leftovers for lunch the next day! I cannot wait to make this delicious meal again!
I am roughly estimating that this chili makes 8 hearty bowls.
One serving yields approximately 213 calories and 12g protein.