I was really in the mood to make some patties for dinner and so that I would have extra for ready-made lunches for the next few days. Normally I make these typical Black Bean Patties but I really wanted something different. I was reading around on the internet and saw that sweet potatoes and chickpeas were two common burger ingredients. However, all the recipes I came across called for all these extra ingredients and I really wanted something that would be quick and easy. I decided to take a risk and basically follow the black bean patty recipe but sub in sweet potato and chickpeas. I also had half a zucchini from a recipe I made earlier (it will most likely be the next recipe I post) so I decided to add that for some veggies.
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 small sweet potato, baked and peeled
- 1/2 grated zucchini
- 2/3 cup gf instant oats
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseeds
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp mustard
- sea salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400F and grease a baking sheet.
- Mash chickpeas with a fork until desired texture. Alternatively, pulse for a few seconds in a food processor, or until desired texture. (I like some whole pieces of beans in my patties).
- In a medium bowl, combine chickpeas, sweet potato, grated zucchini, oats (pulse in a food processor for a few seconds to turn rolled oats into instant), flaxseeds, and all seasonings and spices. Mix until well combined.
- With your hands, form 6 patties and place on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes, flip carefully, and then bake for another 15 minutes or until crispy on both sides.
Based on forming 6 patties using Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Rolled Oats and Goya Chickpeas, 1 patty yields approximately 129 calories and 6g protein.