Happy Monday! This week for Meatless Monday’s From A to Z we are on the letter P for Pistachio.
I love pistachios, though I do not eat them nearly enough. Usually I eat them at my grandparent’s house when we’re all sitting around and there’s a bowl of them out on the table. Now that I went out to buy a big bag for this weeks recipe, maybe I’ll start snacking on them more. They are such a heart healthy nut!
I really wanted to try to make a pudding with the pistachios because that just sounded so tasty. But I would have had to put more thought into that and unfortunately did not have time. Maybe another day I can try out a pistachio pudding. I also thought about making a pistachio pesto sauce to put over noodles. But late Saturday night as I was making dinner, I really didn’t want to experiment with different spices and possibly not like my pesto sauce (I either love or hate certain types of pesto).
Then, I came across a recipe that had pistachios and cranberries! Those two ingredients together sounded absolutely amazing. Unlike the original recipe, I turned these into bars. I wanted to have a portable healthy snack ready to go for school or work. I also omitted the cocoa powder. I was all set on adding it, but once I mixed the other ingredients, it looked so pretty I didn’t want to add a brown color. I’m sure the chocolate flavor would be amazing though and definitely want to try it next time.
This recipe was adapted from here:
- 12 dates, pitted
- 1/2 cup shelled pistachios
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup gf rolled oats
- Soak dates in warm water for about an hour. Alternatively, heat in the microwave for about 20 seconds.
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor and mix until everything is incorporated.* (Pulse less for more texture, and pulse longer for a more smooth bar.)
- Roll dough into a big ball and place on wax paper. Lay another sheet of wax paper on top of the dough ball.
- Roll dough out to form a big rectangle. Cut into bars, wrap individually in wax paper, and store in the fridge. (I was able to make 6 bars).