Today I am posting the other side dish in my Thanksgiving meal, Sweet Potato Casserole. This is a recipe for the typical sweet potato casserole but obviously made vegan!
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- 1 8oz can of unsweetened crushed pineapple (I recommend Giant brand)
- 2 tsp Earth Balance
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon, or to taste
- 1/2 tsp sea salt, or to taste
- 1/4 cup raw pecans, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Wash sweet potatoes (do not peel) and place them on a baking sheet lined with foil.
- Bake for 1 1/2 hours.
- Let cool enough so that you can remove the potato skins. The skins should peel right off with your hands. Place the peeled potatoes in a medium bowl.
- Drain the pineapple of most of the liquid, but keep it in a container in case you need more moisture for the casserole. (Mine didn’t need any extra.)
- Add crushed pineapple, Earth Balance, cinnamon, and salt to the potatoes and mash until smooth. If needed add the extra pineapple juice.
- Place in a casserole dish, cover, and warm at 350F for 30 minutes just before serving.
- Garnish with crushed pecans!
I had lots of compliments on this dish. The pineapple gave it a great sweetness and the pecans paired so well with the sweet potatoes! I loved how easy it was to make with very minimal clean-up. I will be making this again sometime very soon!
My other Thanksgiving 2012 Dishes:
- Homemade Tofurkey
- Quinoa Sage Stuffing
- Sage Gravy
- Walnut Brussels Sprouts
- Sweet Potato Casserole
- Chocolate Pie with Graham Cracker Crust