This year for Thanksgiving I made a few dishes to include at our family dinner that were vegan and gluten free, which included:
- Homemade Tofurkey
- Quinoa Sage Stuffing
- Sage Gravy
- Walnut Brussels Sprouts
- Sweet Potato Casserole
- Chocolate Pie with Graham Cracker Crust
Over the next few posts, I will include the recipe for each of these dishes. Let’s start with the main dish, my Homemade Tofurkey. Since packaged Tofurkey is not gluten free, I had to find something else to replace the main part of my Thanksgiving meal and I came across a homemade tofurkey and was surprised at how easy the recipe was to make. I highly recommend giving this a try. It was easy to make and tasted great!
This recipe was adapted from here:
- 2 16oz packages of Extra Firm Tofu
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 1/2 tsp agar flakes
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease a large loaf pan with non-stick spray.
- Drain tofu and pat dry as much as possible. (You can also prep the tofu ahead of time and let it air dry for an hour or so before patting dry the rest of the moisture.) Crumble the tofu into small pieces.
- Place the tofu and the rest of the ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Add additional seasonings or more vegetable broth to your desired taste and blend until combined.
- Measure out a heaping cup of tofu mixture and set aside.
- With the remaining tofu mixture, spread a layer on the bottom and all sides of the loaf pan.
- Firmly, but gently press your stuffing into the pan.
- Cover the stuffing with the remaining tofu mixture and seal the edges. (I ran a spatula along the edges to help smooth it out and seal it together.)
- Loosely cover the pan with aluminium foil so the foil is not touching the tofu but is “tented” over the top and bake for 50 minutes.
- Remove the foil and cook an additional 20 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- Allow to cool before unmolding. (Since I prepared this a day in advance, once mine cooled I refrigerated it overnight then unmolded it the next day and it came out easily. I then sliced a serving and reheated it in the microwave.)
- Slice and serve with sauce or gravy. ( I used Sage Gravy.)