Here is a great snack with tons of nutrition giving you that perfect energy boost before a workout!
This recipe was adapted from here:
- 1 1/2 cups pitted dates (about 18)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I used Dark Cocoa Powder)
- 1/3 cup chia seeds
- 1 cup almonds
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- Soak dates in warm water for about 2 hours to soften. Alternatively, you could heat them in the microwave for about 20 seconds.
- Combine all ingredients, except almonds, in a food processor and blend until everything is combined.
- Add almonds and pulse until nuts are finely chopped and distributed evenly throughout the mixture. (Pulse less for a bar with more texture, and pulse longer for a smoother bar.)
- Once everything is combined, transfer mixture onto a flat surface lined with wax paper. Layer another piece of wax paper on top of the mixture and press into the shape of a rectangle to desired thickness. (This may be easier with a rolling pin.)
- Place the block in the fridge to chill before cutting into 8 bars. Rewrap each bar in wax paper and keep refrigerated.
Since these bars are individually wrapped, they are a quick snack to grab on the run. Or, instead of making bars, try cutting them into smaller bite-sized snacks for a small treat to help satisfy that sweet tooth!
1 bar yields approximately 178 calories and 4.5g protein.