Another day of Meatless Mondays from A to Z and it is the sixth week. The sixth letter in the alphabet starts with F for Figs!
Just this summer I had discovered figs (besides from the packaged Fig Newtons I used to eat) and they are amazing! The first thing I thought about making with figs for today was Fig Newton Bars, but I have already made these before and wanted to try a new recipe with figs. I still made Fig Newtons, but these one are raw and look more like the Fig Newtons I used to buy rather than bars.
This recipe was adapted from Rawified:
- 1 cup figs
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/4 cup flax seeds
- 1/4 cup gf rolled oats
- 2 tbsp agave
- In a food processor, blend figs with one tablespoon of water (if needed) to create a sticky and spreadable paste. Put the paste into a small bowl and set aside.
- In the food processor, add almonds and blend to break them down into small pieces.
- Add flax seeds and oats and continue blending until a flour like consistency is reached.
- Add agave and blend until a dough forms.
- Place the dough between two sheets of wax paper and use a rolling pin to shape it into a large square. (I trimmed along the edges to make a perfect square. Then, used the extra dough to make more Fig Newtons.)
- Cut the square in half, so you have two rectangles.
- Take half the fig paste and spread it across one of the rectangles leaving a border along the longer sides of the rectangle. Do not leave a border at the shorter sides of the rectangle.