Normally when I eat tempeh I cook it in a pan on the stove top with some veggies like butternut squash or like a stir fry. I don’t know why I never thought about baking it before, especially since it was so easy, but here is a great recipe that I will be making again!
This recipe was adapted from Appetite for Reduction by Isa Chandra Moskowitz:
- 1 package tempeh
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- Mix together all marinade ingredients.
- Slice the tempeh into bite sized pieces and place in the marinade. Cover and put in the fridge for at least one hour.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Lightly spray a baking sheet with oil ( I recommend laying a piece of foil over the baking sheet and spraying that for easier clean up.)
- Place the tempeh slices in a single layer and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, flipping once halfway through baking time and spooning extra marinade on top after flipping.
I really liked how easy this was and it gave the tempeh a great flavor. However, unlike tofu the marinade only really covers the outside of the tempeh and doesn’t soak inside. I think next time I may try poking the tempeh with a fork before marinating to help the flavors soak inside the tempeh more. It might even help to make smaller pieces so there is less middle that doesn’t get marinated.