Yesterday was National Chocolate Chip Day! I was very disappointed my chocolate chip cookies were a fail, but these pancakes turned out pretty good so I was glad I could use chocolate chips successfully! These pancakes were like eating a chocolate chip oatmeal cookie!
This recipe was adapted from Minimalist Baker. I made a few changes to the original recipe. Here’s how I made my pancakes:
- 1 very ripe medium banana, mashed
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 flax egg
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- 3 tablespoons almond milk
- 1/2 cup rolled gf oats
- 1/4 cup gf flour*
- vegan chocolate chips (I used the brand by Enjoy Life)
- Combine mashed banana, baking powder, flax egg, salt, vanilla, almond butter, and almond milk and stir together.
- Stir in oats and flour until just combined. You can gently fold in chocolate chips now or
- Scoop batter (about 1/4 cup) onto lightly greased griddle. Add chocolate chips onto each pancake now.
- Cook pancakes so that they are lightly golden on each side.
Yield: 4 pancakes
* I used 1/8 cup garbanzo bean flour. It has a strong flavor so I wanted to use slightly less so it wouldn’t over-power the pancakes. It was good with the garbanzo bean flour but next time I think I’ll use 1/4 cup brown rice flour since I like the flavor much better. Or coconut flour sounds tasty!
(I’ll update when I make these again with a different gf flour and let you know how they taste.)