I love baked beans! I buy them canned from the grocery store all the time. When I found out I could make my own…OMG! I will probably never buy store bought baked beans again! These were super easy and much tastier than the canned version.
This recipe was adapted from Happy Herbivore.
- 1/4 onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 15 oz can navy beans, drained and not rinsed
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 2 tbsp molasses
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 300F.
- Cook onion and garlic in 1/4 cup water over high heat until the onion is translucent, about 2 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, transfer to a casserole dish, cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let beans rest for at least 15 minutes to allow the sauce to thicken. Stir beans just before serving.
These can be eaten alone as a side, or enjoy them over brown rice!