I have always heard of tofu scrambles and tofu being used in place of eggs and have even tried a taste of some store bought tofu scrambles before. I’ve been meaning to create my own tofu scramble for a while now and this Greens Quiche was another recipe that sounded delicious that used tofu instead of eggs. This meal is perfect as brunch, lunch, OR dinner!
This recipe is adapted from Happy Herbivore.
- 1 pound extra-firm tofu
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1.5 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp granulated onion powder
- 1.5 tsp granulated garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 4 cups chopped greens (I used baby spinach leaves)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Grease a muffin tin.
- Combine all ingredients, except greens and red bell pepper, in a food processor or blender. Blend until smooth and creamy, stopping to scrape down sides as necessary.
- Mix in greens and red bell pepper with a spoon.
- Spoon the batter equally (about 2/3 full) into the muffin tin. Use the back of the spoon to make sure the mixture is even and tight.
- Bake 30-40 minutes (mine took 40 min), or until golden and the center is firm, not mushy.
- Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before removing each quiche from the muffin tin.
This recipe can be made with any greens like kale, chard, or collards. You can also add in any other vegetable or a combination of vegetables. I liked using the red bell pepper for the added color! I also really enjoyed this the next day after it had been refrigerated and reheated for 30 seconds in the microwave.
Based on making 12 quiches, each quiche yields approximately 60 calories and 4.5g protein.