When I first found out I had a gluten intolerance, I bought this book, Eating Gluten Free by Shreve Stockton.
It has this one cookie bar recipe that my family cannot get enough of. It is not the most healthiest recipe, but it is definitely a recipe worh indulging in every once in a while for a truly sweet treat. Here’s the recipe I adapted to make this delicious treat vegan:
- 1 cup sorghum flour
- 1/4 cup millet flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar (I used raw sugar)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon flaxseed meal mixed with 3 tablespoons water)
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Mix together the sorghum flour, millet flour, baking soda, salt, and xanthan gum in a bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whip together the softened butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar.
- Add the vanilla and the flax egg and whisk well, until creamy and light.
- Gradually stir in the flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time. Once mixed, stir in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon the batter into an ungreased 8″ square pan and bake for 15 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly, then cut into bars.
Even though there are quite a few ingredients, this recipe takes a very short time to mix together. These bars taste best the day they are baked.