After a great personal touch workout, a dinner filled with protein sounded perfect. I have been wanting to try these Black Bean Patties for a couple weeks now.
I adapted the recipe from Happy Herbivore and below is how I made mine.
- 1/3 cup GF instant oats
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 15 ounces black beans, drained and rinsed
- Preheat oven to 400F and grease a cookie sheet.
- Mash beans with a fork until mostly pureed, but some half pieces are still left.
- Stir in onion powder, garlic powder, mustard, and ketchup until combined. Then mix in oats.
- Divide into four equal portions and shape into thin patties.
- Bake for about 10 minutes, flip carefully, bake for about another 5 minutes or until crusty on the outside.
I loved how simple and quick these were to make.
Update: The one thing I found these patties were lacking was a veggie. Usually I eat one of these with a side of veggies, but then I thought why not include veggies in the patty. So the last time I made these, I added some veggies that I had in my fridge. In a food processor, I combined 10 baby carrots and a handful of spinach. Then, stirred it into the rest of the mix before forming the patties. You can use any veggies you want – zucchini, sweet potato, broccoli, etc. If you add a lot of veggies, you might need to bake these a little longer depending on the moistness of the patties. When I added the veggies, I was also able to make 5 medium-sized patties instead of 4. More is always better 😉