I was in the mood for a quick and filling breakfast and I thought muffins would be perfect. I had some blueberries so searched around online for a blueberry muffin recipe that sounded sweet enough to be tasty, but healthy enough for breakfast.
This recipe was adapted from here.
I made only two small changes to the original recipe. Here’s the recipe I used:
- 1 cup yellow corn grits (I used Arrowhead Mills brand)
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup (or more) fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 375F. Grease a muffin tray or line with muffin cups.
- In a medium bowl, mix together yellow corn grits, brown rice flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together cooked quinoa, maple syrup, almond milk, applesauce, lemon juice, and oil.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Fold in blueberries. Spoon batter into muffin tin and bake for 20 minutes.
These are so good I can eat two. And since they are high in nutrition, having two is perfectly fine!